On the 16th November, 1955, a huge marquee, a microphone and outdoor seating for invited guests was set up in a paddock off Goodman Road. Here, in front of a large crowd of several hundred people, Sir Thomas Playford named the new town which was being built north of Salisbury, “Elizabeth”. The choice of name for Elizabeth had been a well-kept secret and the subject of much speculation up to inauguration day.
Playford Gardens, a .5 hectare park, designed by Adelaide landscape architect Mr. Ian D. Barwick, was built on the site of the inauguration ceremony. It contains brick paved paths, seats and Australian native shrubs and trees. A monument in the centre bears a plaque commemorating the naming of Elizabeth and it was unveiled on the 16th November 1975, Sir Thomas Playford on Elizabeth’s 20th Birthday.
Sir Thomas Playford and Mayor of Elizabeth, Mrs Joyce Eastland at the opening of the Park on 16 November 1975
PersonHon. Sir Thomas PlayfordJoyce EastlandPlaceElizabeth, South AustraliaThemeParks & Reserves