John Smith built a home and used part of it for a hotel. It was originally known as the Wheatsheaf (1847-48) and later as Smith's (1849-1856). With the coming of the railway, Smith built a two storeyed hotel initially called "The Railway Terminus". It was again known as Smith's and from 1876 as Smithfield Hotel.
Originally located on east side of Main North Road, north of present location.
Known as Wheatsheaf 1847-1848
Known as Smith’s 1849-1856
Gazetted as Railway Terminus 1857
Known again as Smith’s 1858-1875
Known as Smithfield Hotel 1876-1984-?
Also known asRailway Terminus HotelSmith's HotelGeotag