The Virginian boys would have to find paddocks to play football and cricket on. In July 1928 a meeting was held at the Virginia Institute to form a committee to manage the grounds. Those present were H. Hatcher, S.J Johns, A,. J Corston, A. Barker, L O’Loughlin, L. Baker, W.G Taylor, P McEntee?, Hatcher, R.J Ligre, A.J Taylor, P. Barker.
Land was purchased in 1928, 10 acres for £300. The ground was levelled with course grass. Dry weather and high winds blew ground away to the extent of covering fence on Eastern side of the oval. The area required lots of grading and filing which was carted in.
The grounds was also used for Croquet, Boy scouts, basketball and tennis.
In 1929, a carnival was held to raise funds and 38 trees were planted.
1936 Centenary Arbor Day, Recreation Oval committee to supply trees.
1937, 50 pine trees were planted around the Recreation Park for Arbor Day.
1939 Shed was erected on grounds.
1943 Government occupied grounds.
Tennis courts were for many years on the Virginia Institutes grounds before courts were added to the Recreation grounds around the oval.
A trotting track added by 1946. In 1949 a children’s playground added which the CWA built.
June 1951 an additional 3 acres was purchased adjoining the oval for £116-18-0.
The Virginia Gala day was instituted as an annual event with trotting and horse events.
In 1959 Memorial gates were erected to honour the men who lost their lives in both wars. An inscription on a plaque to be fixed to the pillars. The Pine trees plated around the oval are a memorial to those from Virginia who served in the First and second World Wars.
In April 1967 the committee offered to hand over the grounds to the District Council of Munno Para, to be maintained by the Council for the use of the people of the Virginia District and other bodies.
General noteRecords held at the City of Playford
• Recreation ground committee minute book 1919-1920
• Minute book of Virginia Recreation park (no cover) 1944
• Minute book 1958 - 1969
• Minute book finance 1957 - 1967
• Minute book 1949 - 1967
• Incorporation rules of Park Inc 1967