loading google map....
Playford's Past (30th Oct 2018). Humbug Scrub. In Website Playford's Past. Retrieved 27th May 2020 19:32, from https://playfordspast.recollect.net.au/nodes/view/172
Between Yattalunga and Sampson Flat lies Humbug Scrub. There are two variations on how the origin of the name came about. The first being that Mary Gavan, a squatter’s wife, implied that to live in such a locality was humbug. The second being that Colonel Light gave the area its name after the battle of Barossa in South Spain.1 He had been annoyed by the tactics used by the enemy which he thought to be humbug.2 The Humbug Scrub area became famous as one of the most successful goldfield sites in South Australia.3
In 1868 the first gold discovery was made in Hamlins Gully. A township with a population of 500 people developed in the gully after the establishment of the Lady Alice Mining Company in 1873. Within the town there was an accommodation house, assembly room, a blacksmith, a butcher, church, hotel, general manager’s residence, miners’ houses, post office, three stores, and a school.4 In 1879 the diggings at the Lady Alice Mines declined and the area was eventually abandoned. Some of the stone ruins can still be seen today hidden amongst the bush. The site is entered on the State Heritage Register because of its significance.
Apart from gold mining in the district not a lot is known about the remainder of the Humbug Scrub area. It is thought that it was largely used as grazing land.
Today a majority of the land remains undisturbed bush. Within the area is the Humbug Scrub Wildlife Sanctuary and a few grazing properties.5 Between 1962 and 1968 the Para Wirra Conservation Park was formed on approximately 3,127 acres within the Humbug Scrub locality.6Geotag