Yelki means ‘camp on the hill’ in Kaurna is located on land taken up by E A Kelly in 1891 (And by his grandfather Harvey William Kelly in 1885).
A house and outbuildings were built by Mr Turner who owned the lower sections of land. The existing house was built in 1909 over the cellar’s of the previous building with stone quarried locally. The stone of the original house was used to construct two workmen’s cottages. The architects for the second house described as a ‘fine country residence’ and comprising 12 rooms’ were Garlick, Sibley and Wooldridge.
The homestead comprises of 12 rooms, with Delco light, telephone, septic tanks, flower garden, shrubbery and orchard of 100 trees and underground tanks for domestic water. Large single story house in late Federation style with hipped corrugated iron roof and encircling veranda’s on timer posts decorated with timber brackets. Brick and stone walls with brick chimney. Lofty orate ceilings, stained glass window, open fireplaces, two cellars, timber panelled formal entrance hall.
Property 2,100 acres. Water provided by the Little Para River and Smith’s creek. It was one of the largest properties in the district. The property was subdivided in the late 1980’s.